How to Write a Descriptive Essay
When you think of writing a descriptive essay, think of how best you can create a clear picture of something in the minds of your readers. Your descriptions should be clear and convincing in a way that engages the sense of taste, touch, earring, smell and sight. The more you can do that, the more compelling your descriptions become hence effective in your descriptive essay writing. This type of assignment will require you to be creative enough to paint a clear image of the topic in question.
A descriptive essay will be assessed based on how well you have influenced the mind of the reader. Although you are describing something using words, your audience should be able to see that in pictures. You will be graded based on how you engage the reader's imagination to see what you are saying and understand it as it is.
Secrets to Descriptive Essay writing
In your preparation to write this type of assignment, you need to take note of a few things. Here is a detailed guide to follow to make your essay perfect:
- Pick an interesting topic. Descriptions in this type of assignment revolve around a specific person, location, event or object. Your work will be to pass on information concerning a chosen topic. It is not enough to just tell your readers about your chosen subject. They should be able to see it through your own perception and description.
- Develop a thesis statement. A thesis statement is what will guide your essay thoughts and writing. What is your essay about and why is it important to write it? Right from the beginning, your reader should be able to tell what you are writing about and what they should expect to see from the writing.
- Prepare an Outline. One of the best ways to develop a comprehensive essay is by creating an outline for it. List key items of your essay and follow them through in the course of your writing. This will ensure that you don't miss out on important points of description in your essay.
- Write guided by the five senses. The best way to write a descriptive essay is to bring out the five senses in the writing process. Tell how readers should taste, feel, smell, see and hear what you are talking about. When you get these right, you will have succeeded in writing your essay. Make sure you tackle your tackle in these senses if you want it to have an impact on your audience.
- Write a conclusion. Every essay must have a conclusion. Bring together all your views and present them to your audience to see the final image of what you have been describing.
Professionally written descriptive essays seek to paint a clear image in the mind of a reader. Therefore, your objective is to show your readers the exact image of the object you are writing about. At the end of it all, they should be able to visualize, feel, hear, smell and tell it’s taste.